1956 Hercules Her-cu-Motor, 49cc. Registration number FXG 993 (not on DVLA register). Frame number M513. Engine number 49-V1478-2. The company was founded on 9 September 1910 by the brothers Harry and Edward Crane in Coventry Street, Birmingham and produced only 25 bicycles a week, by 1927 Hercules had made 250,000 cycles. Hercules also exported a significant percentage of their production - by the time Sir Malcolm Campbell was invited to see the three millionth bicycle completed in 1933, over half the production had been sent overseas, earning the country £6 million and letters of congratulation from the King and the Prince of Wales. In 1956 the firm produced a moped fitted with a 49cc JAP engine, which, to begin with, sold as the Grey Wolf. Soon this name was changed to Her-cu-motor. The two-speed gearbox and bevel box with chain final-drive had an engine with the crankshaft set along the machine. The unit hung from a spine frame with leading-link front forks, the overall effect was quite sleek. In 1958 production of the moped came to a close when supplies of the JAP engine dried up. This example was bought on the 9th October 1956 by Mr Lawson of Whitby from Upton & Sons of Middlesbrough to travel to work during the Suez Crisis, he last taxed it in December 1958 and then put it into storage after covering only 474 miles! Acquired by our vendor many years ago he has had it on display in his private museum. Sold with the R.F. 60, original guarantee, maintenance booklet, sale brochure, insurance documents, petrol ration book from 1956 and a letter from Hercules about the delivery of the moped. Rarely do you find a machine with this original paperwork, history and condition.