1951 Triumph TR5 Trophy, 499cc. Registration number PPB 916, Frame number 5491 NA. Engine number TR5 1823 NA.
From the time of its introduction in 1948 the Triumph Trophy was established as a true all-rounder: a machine that could be ridden to work during the week and then, with extraneous components removed, competed on at weekends in its owner's chosen branch of motorcycle sport. Although catalogued primarily as a trials machine, its true forte was scrambles and the ISDT, events in which the power of the tuneable Triumph twin worked to its advantage and its weight was less of a handicap. The arrival of a new swinging-arm frame for 1955 finally put paid to the Trophy's pretensions as a one-day trials mount, for although the rear suspension enhanced traction and improved the handling, the lengthened wheelbase and increased weight rendered it un-competitive. Nevertheless, the TR5 remained an extremely competent and stylish roadster until the end of production in 1958.
PPB 916 is basically a one lady owner machine, purchased by Mrs Gladys Bouttell on the 25th January 1951. Her husband, Arthur, was a regular trialist in the late 1940's through to the 1960's and had many friends in the Triumph Trophy works SSDT/ISDT teams, including Ken Heanes. Gladys would compete in local events but one year also completed every stage of the Welsh Six Day for fun.
As a result this machine, Gladys's only transport until blindness stopped her riding in her 80's, had constant upgrades. The engine has standard TR5 cams, 5:1 compression ratio, one piece forged Grand Prix crankshaft, Lucas Police generator, Lucas Wader magneto, as per British Trophy Team and Ken Heanes, platinum points, Bonneville con rods and Dural engine mounts. It runs on Borrani rims, with a Campbell silencer, mounted on the competition side, quick release wheels and cables with modified brake arm and shaved foot pegs.
The bike has never been restored and has been roadworthy all of its life, as testified by old MOT's that run from 1969 with a mileage of some 15,000 to 2013 at 67,314 miles. In 1998 it had its head hardened for lead free fuel. There are also many tax discs from 1981 until 2014.
In 2004 it passed to her grandson who maintained it but no longer has the space for it.
Offered for sale with the V5C, old MOT's and tax discs mentioned, it only needs a new brake light switch and horn to be road legal.
This is a rare opportunity to be the next custodian of a period trials machine that has extensive history.