A George II Irish silver pair of cast candlesticks, by John Hamilton, Dublin 1728, triangular facetted octagonal bases, knopped tapering stems, with double cotton reel pull off sconces, one with poorly struck mark, crested, height 20 cm, scratch weights 10:7 and 10:10, weight 23 oz. One has maker date letter and harp to the base, the other to the underside. John Hamilton was a silversmith in Dublin, on Ormonde Quay (North bank of the Liffey, upstream from the Ha'penny Bridge). He was a Freeman in 1709, and served two periods as master warden of the Company of Goldsmiths of Dublin, in 1710 and 1714. He was elected to the Common Council of the City of Dublin on four occasions between 1714 and 1740.