1965 Ariel Leader, 247cc. Registration number DUO 97C. Frame number T34800B. Engine number T34800B unconfirmed. Designed by Val Page and his team, the Ariel Leader and its sports derivative, the Arrow, sought to combine the virtues of speed and agility with those of cleanliness and convenience. Launched in 1958 and powered by an all-new 247cc air-cooled two-stroke twin with unit gearbox, the Leader also broke with British tradition in its frame and suspension design, employing a stiff, fabricated-steel beam instead of tubes, and a trailing-link front fork. Detachable panels enclosing the engine and most of the rear wheel extended forwards to meet leg-shields and screen while the rear chain was fully enclosed. DUO was owned by Raymond Bolt of Exeter in 1996 before moving to Richard Wiggins of Birmingham in 2001, it was placed on SORN in 2014. Sold with the V5C, various MOT's dating back to 1982 at 46,965 miles slowly rising to last one in 2009 at 51,514 miles and a quantity of Leader paperwork and copy manuals. It should be noted that the kick start has worn on the pedal so does not engage.