1926 Rudge Whitworth Four Valve Four Speed, Registration number not registered. Frame number painted over. Engine number 44635. Gearbox number N797 10635. Formed by the acquisition in 1894 of the Rudge Cycle Company Ltd by the Pugh family's Whitworth Cycle Company, Rudge-Whitworth built its first motorcycle in 1910 and is best remembered for its pioneering use of four-valve cylinder heads. Rudge Whitworth's first four-valve production motorcycle appeared in 1924, and the company persevered with the layout until manufacture ceased at the outbreak of WW2. The motorcycling public's response to this new four-valve, four-speed model was enthusiastic, and by the end of 1924 twice as many machines had been produced as in 1923. The full potential of Rudge's four-valves-per-cylinder design was slow to emerge, but in 1928 Graham Walker's works '500' became the first motorcycle to win a road race - the Ulster Grand Prix - at an average speed in excess of 80mph, a feat which led to the introduction of the legendary 'Ulster' sports model. A variety of valve arrangements was tried across a variety of 250cc, 350cc and 500cc four-valve models as the range developed throughout the 1930s. Sadly, the marque did not re-emerge after WW2. Owned by our vendor for the last ten years, he acquired it from a deceased estate on the Isle of Man. Subject of an older restoration it remains in very good order but has been unused since it left the Island. There are copies of the Rudge Enthusiasts Journal dating from the 1970's until 2004 which would indicate long term ownership. Sold with no paperwork, a quantity of the Journal and many Rudge period manuals and booklets.